How to repair dents and scratchesNov 12nd, 2021
Finch Nissan's Service Tips & Tricks
No one wants to see a dent or scratch in their beautiful Nissan! However it unfortunately is a possible hazard, so we’ve given you some easy quick fixes. Our team of highly-trained service experts can help with any major dents and scratches, so feel free to contact us anytime!
DIY Scratch Repair
Small scratches on a vehicle are unfortunately something that can happen, but not everyone wants to take it to a dealership for repair, so here are a few tips on how to fix it.
- Candle Wax – Just a temporary solution, but candle wax can hide small imperfections. Carefully apply the wax to the area and watch it disappear. *You should always clean the area prior to applying wax, however.
- Super Glue – Much like the wax method, superglue can also temporarily mask scratches and blends in nicely with the rest of the vehicle.
- Paint Polish or Rubbing Compound – Paint correcting is a safe and effective way to remove light scratches and swirl marks. It is always recommended to start with the least aggressive method first, as you can always step it up later. If you need a more aggressive combination, go for a compound with more cut and a more abrasive pad. If this isn’t enough, the next step is to wet sand the spot, however, this should only be used if the polishing stage cannot remove the scratch.
- Wet Sandpaper – Light surface scratches can be removed by using 2000-grit wet sandpaper. When the scratches are nearly invisible, a rubbing compound can be used to remove the haze left by the sandpaper. You should then use finer polishes wax to really make the area shine, and then a sealant or wax for protection. It is important to thoroughly clean your vehicle prior to fixing any type of scratches, and you should also wax the entire vehicle after fixing the scratch to make sure your paint is protected.
- Touch-Up Paint - You can purchase touch-up paint at service centers, which can mask deeper scratches that cannot be removed by the above methods.
DIY Dent Repair
If you have a small dent in your vehicle, these tried and true DIY dent repairs can be done right in your Oakville driveway. Here are a few tips on how to fix a dent in a car:
- Plunger – Believe it or not, a plunger of any kind can repair small dents on your vehicle. The plunger will often remove the dents after a few attempts of bringing the dent back to the surface.
- Hammer or Mallet – These tools are useful for fixing dents, as they allow you to bang out a dent from the opposite side. It is important to protect the side you are hammering with a microfiber cloth to prevent any damage. It is common practice to use the hammer for small dents, and a mallet for larger ones.
- Dent Puller – You should use this method with caution, as you have to drill a hole through the dent and pull it back to the surface. You then have to fill the hole, prime, and paint.
Choose Finch Nissan for Paint and Dent Removal
If you feel the damage warrants the experience of a professional, come stop by our service centre at Finch Nissan! Our experienced technicians know how to fix scratches on a car, and will have your vehicle looking like new! Schedule an appointment for service today!